Rosberg blocks out title talk in Mexico

first_img0Shares0000Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team’s German driver Nico Rosberg vows to remain focus as he looks to clinch his 10th win of the year in Mexico © AFP/File / Yuya ShinoMEXICO CITY, Mexico, Oct 27 – Nico Rosberg plans to block out all thoughts of a possible maiden title triumph and focus on sticking to his singular and simple approach when he bids to claim his 10th win of the year in this weekend’s Mexican Grand Prix.The 31-year-old, who will become champion if he wins and Mercedes team-mate and title rival Lewis Hamilton fails to score a point, has said he is aware of all the equations and possible outcomes. But, he stressed, he will aim only to keep things simple and concentrate on repeating his victory of last year when Formula One returned to the noisy and atmospheric Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez for the first time since 1992.In front of a packed crowd that day, Rosberg eased some of the pain from losing out to Hamilton in the title race by securing a well-judged victory.Something similar coupled with another Hamilton retirement would see him take the Englishman’s crown on Sunday night.“Of course I’m aware of that,” he said. “It’s an obvious calculation which everybody is telling me and it’s great, but the approach is keep it simple just look for the race win.”Rosberg will arrive in Mexico with a 26-point lead over Hamilton in the title race and three races remaining.That means that if he wins he will increase his tally to an unassailable advantage of 51 if the three-time defending champion is undone by another engine failure, poor start or other mechanical problem.For Hamilton, and his race team of Mercedes mechanics, the over-riding pressure, as it was during his flawless drive to victory in the United States Grand Prix in Texas, is to finish without any setbacks.In the 18 events to date, he has been affected by at least three poor starts, five engine or engine-related mechanical problems, one race when he was penalised for his engine failures that required new power units and one crash, with Rosberg, in Spain.Rosberg has also suffered misfortunes, but not to the same extent and many Hamilton supporters believe he has lost a minimum of 40 points as a result.Some believe, also, that the law of averages will deliver at least another twist that may see Rosberg suffer a DNF (Did Not Finish).Hamilton’s convincing win from pole position last weekend in Texas was his first in six races since July.He said it has restored his confidence and he will do all he can, reliability permitting, in the final races.“You don’t often get 100 per cent reliability for a whole season,” he said.“Will it be the case for Nico? Only time will tell, but I can’t get fixated on that.”Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team’s German driver Nico Rosberg looks to extend his lead over the pack in Mexico © POOL/AFP/File / Yuya ShinoHamilton said he has kept his motivation intact despite his poor run and was boosted by visiting the Mercedes factory in Britain before flying to the United States.“I’ve tried to keep a positive mentality,” he said. “There are still points available, anything is possible. The moment you give up, that’s the moment you’re doomed.I’ve never given up all my life, I don’t plan on doing so now.”Both Mercedes drivers know that they face a robust challenge from the Red Bull team who are confident they have reduced the champions’ advantage and can mount a serious bid for victory.However, given the Mexican circuit’s long straight, Mercedes are expected to enjoy superior power and take advantage, but it is uncertain if that will be enough to allow their drivers a clear scrap for victory and possibly the championship.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Injuries could derail Real’s pursuit of Barcelona

first_imgIt’s a problem which has left “los blancos” the main victims of what the Spanish press have dubbed the “FIFA virus”.Despite the draw against Barcelona at Camp Nou two weeks ago, Madrid still have an eight-point gap to make up on their Catalan rivals, a task made even more difficult by the loss of so many key defenders.Right-backs Alvaro Arbeloa, injured in Spain’s 1-1 draw with France, and Fabio Coentrao are unavailable for a number of weeks while left-back Marcelo is expected to be out for three months after breaking his foot in a Brazil training session.Midfielder Sami Khedira and forwards Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain picked up knocks with their national sides and all could be rested ahead of an important Champions League tie at Borussia Dortmund next Wednesday.Mourinho will have to be creative to fill the full-back berths.Michael Essien has experience on the right while Sergio Ramos could also be used there with Raphael Varane or Raul Albiol coming into the centre of defence.Even using Varane is in doubt after the youngster picked up a muscle injury while playing for the French Under-21 side.Youngster Nacho Fernandez could make his first start of the season at left-back.Leaders Barcelona have few worries as they go to Deportivo La Coruna on the same evening, looking to make it four wins from four on the road.One player unaffected by the international break was midfielder Andres Iniesta.“I didn’t play the full 90 minutes of the two matches with Spain so I’m in good shape, my (groin) injury is forgotten and we all hope to be fit for the Depor game which will be complicated especially after the break,” he said.“There’s a long way to go, all sides go out to win games, particularly Madrid who are the current champions and they will want to win the title again so we can’t take the points for granted,” he said.“Also we have to concede that at the moment Atletico Madrid are our closest rivals.”On Sunday, Atletico face a tough away game at Real Sociedad who have won their three home games to date this season.Atletico are level with points with Barca at the top and eight ahead of city rivals Real.But their Turkish midfielder Arda Turan is another victim of the international break and will miss Sunday’s game along with Diego Costa who has a troubled knee.Raul Garcia is the likely replacement for Turan while Atletico will look to the rich goalscoring form of Gustavo Falcao to continue a run of nine straight victories in all competitions since the opening day 1-1 draw at Levante.SaturdayMalaga v Valladolid (1400 GMT), Real Madrid v Celta (1600 GMT), Valencia v Athletic Bilbao (1800 GMT), Deportivo v Barcelona (2000 GMT)SundayGetafe v Levante (1000 GMT), Espanyol v Rayo Vallecano (1400 GMT), Granada v Zaragoza (1600 GMT), Osasuna v Betis (1750 GMT), Real Sociedad v Atletico Madrid (1930 GMT)MondaySevilla v Mallorca (1930 GMT)0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000MADRID, Spain, October 19 – Real Madrid are battling an injury crisis ahead of their home clash with Celta Vigo on Saturday as World Cup duty threatens the team’s La Liga pursuit of bitter rivals Barcelona.Madrid coach Jose Mourinho faces the loss of up to seven of the 19 players who went off on international duty after the vital 2-2 draw with Barcelona in their last league game.last_img read more

2016 illicit drug death numbers still continue to climb

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Illicit drug deaths continue to rise at an alarming rate in 2016.From January 1st to October 31st in B.C., there have been 622 deaths from overdoses. In 2015, during the same time period, there were 397.The total number of deaths in October was 63. That is up from the 57 deaths in September.- Advertisement -Fentanyl is still found in a high number of illicit drug deaths. From January 1st through September 30th, 2016, fentanyl was detected in a total of 332 cases, or around 60% of all illicit drug deaths. That is almost triple the number of fentanyl-detected deaths for the same period last year.The majority of illicit drug deaths are males. 80.7% of deaths have been males which is up from 71.2% in 2012.There have been 36 illicit drug deaths in Northern B.C. so far in 2016. That is 10 more from the previous year when it was 26.Advertisement In Northeast B.C., there have been 13 illicit drug deaths so far in 2016. There were 5 in 2015.Fentanyl was found in 10 deaths in Northeast B.C., up from 4 in 2015. The drug has been found in 23 deaths from 2012-2016 in the Northeast.last_img read more

Boucher not swayed by Pelosi on waiver

first_imgCalifornia has been seeking just such a waiver for two years in order to implement a state law that would reduce greenhouse gas emissions, mainly carbon dioxide, by 25 percent from cars and 18 percent from sport utility vehicles starting in 2009. At least 11 other states are ready to follow California’s lead. Boucher told The Associated Press that greenhouse gases should be regulated nationally and his committee will start writing legislation to do that in the fall. In the meantime letting California set its own standards would just create more “regulatory confusion” with little effect on solving global warming. Boucher described his measure as an attempt to clear up confusion. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – The Democratic author of legislation that would block California and other states from regulating global warming tailpipe emissions said Wednesday he’s not budging despite opposition from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. “The short answer is, `We’ll see,”‘ said Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., of how his dispute with Pelosi might get resolved. He said the two had a “very cordial” conversation Tuesday night. A Pelosi spokesman declined to characterize the talk, saying it was a private conversation. Boucher, who chairs a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee that is writing a Democratic energy plan, included language in a draft bill that would prohibit the Environmental Protection Agency from issuing a waiver needed for a state to impose auto pollution standards if the new requirements are “designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.” last_img

GST 3 LAST

first_imgBriefing reporters about todays meeting, Mitra said it Briefing reporters about todays meeting, Mitra said it was a “very constructive” meeting attended by all major finance ministers. “I am happy to say that the wording which would guarantee five years of compensation was worked out. I cannot go into details of the wordings, I can only give you spirit of it. States are satisfied that in the constitutional amendment the wording (will be provided) by which states will be guaranteed five years of compensation if there is any loss of revenue,” Mitra said. He said it is “very big development” and appropriate wording gives confidence to states that for five years if there is any loss of revenue, Centre will compensate. On the issue of dual control, state finance ministers have conveyed to Jaitley that small businesses with turnover of Rs 1.5 crore and below will be taxed only in the hands of state. “Above Rs 1.5 crore a smooth consistent methodology has been worked out for both centre and state to be able to work together shoulder to shoulder with regard to revenue generation,” he said. Himachal Pradesh Excise and Taxation Minister Prakash Chaudhary said that the state is in favour of dual control. Himachal is ready to implement GST but nitty-gritty has to be worked out, he added.The Congress, which originally mooted GST in 2009 to replace all indirect taxes, has been demanding that the overall rate be capped at 18 per cent and scrapping of an additional 1 per cent tax designed to compensate manufacturing states that fear losing out on revenue. It also wants an independent mechanism to resolve disputes between states over revenue sharing. GST would subsume all indirect taxes like excise, sales and service levies. In the new regime, there will be one Central GST or C-GST and State GST or S-GST. States levy sales tax or VAT on goods sold within their jurisdiction and get a Central Sales Tax (CST) on sales made outside their territories. This CST will no longer be available in the new regime and a 1 per cent additional tax was proposed to make up for that.advertisementThe GST Bill, which intends to convert 29 states into a single market through a new indirect tax regime, was earlier planned to be introduced from April 1 this year, but the deadline was missed as the legislation to roll it out remains in limbo in the Opposition-dominated Rajya Sabha. The government, which has agreed to a five-hour debate on the GST bill in the Rajya Sabha, is keen to get the law passed during the current Monsoon Session of Parliament that ends on August 12. PTI JD DP MRlast_img read more