Cole Walterscheid — From Scout Team to Contributing Starter

first_imgIt’s not to say, though, that he will always be the starter, as Brailford is expected to retake his spot once he fully heals. When Brailford returns, Walterscheid will likely be used as a rotation end alongside Trey Carter.When it comes to his story, whether Walterscheid starts is irrelevant; it’s still one that deserves recognition. It’s rare that small-town football players make it to college football’s highest level, especially from a 2-A program. But Walterscheid has seized his opportunity and shown up at the highest level of college football. And, although fans didn’t know him at the start of the season, they’re all taking notice now. After sophomore defensive end Jordan Brailford was held out of the Cowboys’ season opener against Southeastern Louisiana, there weren’t very many fans in Boone Pickens Stadium who recognized his replacement.But boy, do they recognize him now.Defensive end Cole Walterscheid (pronounced walt-er-shied) has stepped up in Brailford’s absence and was a key player in the Cowboys’ 45-38 victory over the Pittsburgh Panthers last Saturday.The redshirt sophomore came to Oklahoma State from Muenster, TX, a town with a population of 1,600. Walterscheid excelled as an athlete at MHS. Not only was he a Waco Tribune top-100 Texas recruit and a first-team all-district Division II football player as a senior, but he also played baseball, ran track and earned All-State honors in basketball.Walterscheid came to OSU as an undersized defensive end; Rivals lists him as only 6’6, 210 lbs as a senior, and he could “turn sideways and hide behind a pole,” according to head coach Mike Gundy. But he quickly bulked up after an offseason with strength and conditioning coach Rob Glass and headed into the 2014 season at 242 lbs. He then played scout team during his redshirt year.“He was 6’6” 205 when he got here,” Gundy said. “He’s got a big dad – tall dad. Mom’s pretty good size for a female. So we were hoping he would grow into this. But he’s got tremendous work habits, a great attitude, he loves to play football.”After missing the majority of his redshirt freshman season due to injury, Walterscheid secured the backup DE spot behind Brailford as a sophomore. But when a leg injury kept Brailford out of the season opener, Walterscheid was named the Week 1 starter and has been starting ever since.Walterscheid has already made a name for himself after being named the Cowboys’ defensive player of the game following a four-tackle-for-loss (all unassisted) and two-sack performance against Pittsburgh on Saturday.“He’s playing a big role,” said defensive tackle Vincent Taylor on Monday. “He’s gotten defensive MVP for the last two games and after this last game I shot him a text that just said ‘Keep up the good work. Your name is out there now so just keep going.’ I think he really stepped in there and did a great job. He uses his hands well and practicing with him every day I can say that he’s probably the guy with the best hands among the defensive line. If the offensive lineman shoots him, he’s able to get off a block just by using his hands.”Coach Gundy also had nothing but praise for the sophomore. “He was the player of the game for us,” Gundy said. “We just can’t find enough guys like that. There’s just not enough guys out there like that, that just love the game of football that would play for free.” While you’re here, we’d like you to consider subscribing to Pistols Firing and becoming a PFB+ member. It’s a big ask from us to you, but it also comes with a load of benefits like ad-free browsing (ads stink!), access to our premium room in The Chamber and monthly giveaways.The other thing it does is help stabilize our business into the future. As it turns out, sending folks on the road to cover games and provide 24/7 Pokes coverage like the excellent article you just read costs money. Because of our subscribers, we’ve been able to improve our work and provide the best OSU news and community anywhere online. Help us keep that up.last_img read more

South Caicos Fishermen returning home safe

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 27 Aug 2015 – The missing South Caicos fishermen are found, thankfully. The TCI Police had launched and air and sea search and yesterday got the Bahamas Police force to join in the hunt for the pair who had been missing since Sunday. Police press officer, Audley Astwood reported to media that the men had been found drifting near Inagua in The Bahamas. The pair, including Jay Challingsworth will return home to the Turks and Caicos today. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp South Caicos student new Junior Tourism Minister for TCI State of Emergency Declared for South Caicos Recommended for you Related Items:fishermen, inagua, Jay Challingsworth, south caicos Teen dies mysteriously in South Caicos, Police investigatelast_img read more

Bahamas Police arrest two for armed robbery 40lbs of ganga

first_img Related Items:#magneticmedianews, marijuana Million dollar marijuana drug bust in Exuma Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, August 23, 2017 – Nassau – A big batch of #marijuana was taken off of the streets of Nassau overnight as Police announced a haul of 40 pounds of the illicit drug.   It was swift action that led to a snappy arrest of two men who are also reportedly behind an armed robbery.Shortly before 7pm Tuesday, Police got the call of a man being held up at a business near the LPIA, by two men armed with a handgun.    The men got away in a Nissan Cube with a  large amount of cash, they thought.    An immediate APB helped the Selective Enforcement Team to intercept the car on Emerald Coast Road, near Gladstone Road.The two men were taken, without incident and also found in the car was the 40lbs of marijuana.#MagneticMediaNewsImage is file photo Recommended for you Grand Bahama man pleads guilty in Exuma marijuana bust; four others charged in court Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp String of arrests includes marijuana busts in Grand Turklast_img read more

Cygnus Files for Chapter 11

first_imgCourt filings can be found here. Cygnus Business Media today announced to employees that it is entering a restructuring under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code that will result in a secured debt-equity exchange to reduce the company’s debt.The publisher had reached an agreement with 23 of its 24 lenders on a pre-packaged restructuring but an out-of-court settlement required a unanimous decision. With the lone holdout, Cygnus is forced to implement the same plan under Chapter 11. Filings were made with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in Wilmington.Cygnus says it expects to emerge from Chapter 11 within 45 days and the company claims this won’t have any effect on day-to-day operations. “All vendors and creditors will be paid 100 cents on the dollar,” said spokesperson Kathy Scott. “We plan to be out in 45 days. All employees are getting paid and benefits remain in place. In 45 days we will emerge with a better debt structure.”Under the plan, Cygnus’ secured debt will be reduced from $180 million to $60 million.last_img read more

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Wilmington Community Band Seeks Members For Fun On The Fourth Performance

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Music Teacher and WHS Alum Michael Ferrara conducts a wind band that performs on the Town Common during the Fun on the Fourth celebrations.The band, which initially started as an “alumni band,” has expanded to include other members from the community.If you’re a musician (high school age or older) who would like to perform with the band, please contact Ferrara at band is scheduled to perform this year on Friday, June 29 at 6pm.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Monday, August 19, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: WCTV Looking For Camera Operators & Commentators For WHS Fall SportsIn “Community”VIDEO: Wilmington Fun On The Fourth HighlightsIn “Videos”last_img read more

Militarys Unfinished Business has hallmarks of Ethnic Cleansing HRW

first_imgShamsun Nahar (L), 60, a Rohingya widow who fled from Kha Maung Seik village of Myanmar to Bangladesh alone, whose 30-year-old son is missing, tells her story at Kutupalang Makeshift Camp in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, on 4 September 2017. Photo: ReutersEthnic Rohingya Muslims fleeing security forces in Myanmar’s Rakhine State have described killings, shelling, and arson in their villages that have all the hallmarks of a campaign of “ethnic cleansing,” Human Rights Watch said today, Friday.Myanmarese army, police, and ethnic Rakhine armed groups have carried out operations against predominantly Rohingya villages since the 25 August 2017 attacks by Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) militants against about 30 police posts and an army base, said a release of the New York-based rights body.Myanmarese army commander Sr. Gen. Min Aung Hlaing told the media that the government-approved military clearance operations in Rakhine State was “unfinished business” dating back to the Second World War.The United Nations Security Council should hold a public emergency meeting and warn the Myanmarese authorities that they will face severe sanctions unless they put an end to the brutal campaign against the Rohingya population, said the HRW in the release published on its website.“Rohingya refugees have harrowing accounts of fleeing Myanmarese army attacks and watching their villages be destroyed,” said Meenakshi Ganguly, HRW’s South Asia director. “Lawful operations against armed groups do not involve burning the local population out of their homes.”In early September, Human Rights Watch interviewed more than 50 Rohingya refugees who had fled across the border to Bangladesh and obtained detailed accounts from about a dozen people. The Rohingya told Human Rights Watch that Myanmarese government security forces had carried out armed attacks on villagers, inflicting bullet and shrapnel injuries, and burned down their homes. They described the military’s use of small arms, mortars, and armed helicopters in the attacks.Human Rights Watch obtained satellite data and images that are consistent with widespread burnings in northern Rakhine State, encompassing the townships of Rathedaung, Buthidaung, and Maungdaw. To date, Human Rights Watch has found 21 unique locations where heat sensing technology on satellites identified significant, large fires, said the HRW release.Knowledgeable sources in Bangladesh told Human Rights Watch that they heard the distinctive sounds of heavy and light machine gun fire and mortar shelling in villages just across the border in Burma, and spotted smoke arising from these villages shortly afterward.The Myanmarese government has denied security force abuses, claiming that it is engaged in a counterterrorism operation in which nearly 400 people have been killed, most of them suspected militants. The Myanmarese authorities assert, without substantiating their claims, that militants and Rohingya villagers have burned 6,845 houses across 60 villages in northern Rakhine State. Refugee accounts contradict the claims of Myanmarese officials, added the release.For example, Momena, a 32-year-old Rohingya woman from Maungdaw Township, said that she fled to Bangladesh on 26 August, a day after security forces attacked her village. She first hid with her children when the soldiers arrived, but returning to the village she said she saw 40 to 50 villagers dead, including some children and elderly people: “All had knife wounds or bullet wounds, some had both. My father was among the dead; his neck had been cut open. I was unable to do last rites for my father – I just fled.”At the Cox’s Bazar hospital, Human Right Watch interviewed several Rohingya with bullet wounds. Some said they were hit while at home, others said they were shot when running for safety from their villages, or while hiding in the fields or hills from Myanmarese soldiers.Usman Goni, 20, said that he and five friends were in the hills outside their village, tending cattle, when they were attacked. He saw a helicopter flying overhead and then something fall out of it. He later realized he had been hit by whatever the helicopter dropped. Four of his friends died from fragment injuries while villagers transported Goni to Bangladesh for treatment. The fragments in his torso had not yet been removed when Human Rights Watch met him in the hospital.Human Rights Watch’s initial investigations of the current situation in Rakhine State are indicative of an ethnic cleansing campaign. Although “ethnic cleansing” is not formally defined under international law, a UN commission of experts has defined the term as a “purposeful policy designed by one ethnic or religious group to remove by violent and terror-inspiring means the civilian population of another ethnic or religious group from certain geographic areas… This purpose appears to be the occupation of territory to the exclusion of the purged group or groups.”“There is no indication that the horrors we and others are uncovering in Rakhine State are letting up,” Ganguly said. “The United Nations and concerned governments need to press Myanmar right now to end these horrific abuses against the Rohingya as a first step toward restoring Rohingya to their homes.”Attacks on villages in Maungdaw Township, Rakhine State, based on interviews with Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, 30 August 2017 to 5 September 2017Yasin AliYasin Ali, 25, said that Myanmarese security forces attacked his village of Reka Para on 27 August. Prior to the attack, tensions had been building in Reka Para and neighbouring Rohingya villages as local Rakhine harassed and abused them for months. Ali said: “They would come around to us and say, ‘This is not your land. Don’t cultivate this land, and don’t dare take the food growing on it.’ If we went near their lands, they would beat us with sticks.”During the 27 August attack, all the villagers went into hiding. Ali said the women and children were sent further away to seek shelter, while the men stayed close by to wait out the attack in the hopes that they could quickly return to the village after the soldiers left. He said he hid by the roadside, about half a kilometre from where the soldiers made their approach. He heard what sounded like mortar shells hitting the village: “I heard boom boom boom, and then I saw the houses just collapse.” After a while, he saw the soldiers advance towards the village, and from his vantage point, he saw that they were carrying small arms and what looked like light machine guns. He also said he saw a mortar system on the shoulder of a soldier, and some apparent mortar rounds the size of a grapefruit.Ali said that when the soldiers entered the village, they started shooting indiscriminately. He and the other men from the village then decided to run away into the hills for shelter. From the hills, he saw a helicopter painted olive green circle his village four times, and saw something being dropped from the helicopter after which the houses in the village caught fire.Ali and his family walked to Bangladesh and were allowed to enter by the border guards. They arrived on 31 August, and at the time Ali spoke with Human Rights Watch, they were waiting outside trying to sort out where they could get shelter.MomenaMomena, 32, fled her village of Kirgari Para on 26 August with two of her three children. She said that soldiers had previously attacked the village during the military operations in late 2016, but the situation in her village had settled down since then. She described the events that prompted her to flee:“I heard the sounds of fighting around 4pm on Friday [25 August]. There was a lot of noise, worse than before. I saw them [the soldiers] myself as they entered my village. I don’t know how many there were but it looked like a lot to me. I fled with the other villagers and we sheltered in the jungle overnight. When I returned to the village the next morning, after the soldiers had left, I saw about 40 to 50 villagers dead, including some children and some elderly. All had knife wounds or bullet wounds – some had both. My father was among the dead; his neck had been cut open. I was unable to do last rites for my father, I just fled.”From her vantage point while hiding in the jungle, Momena said she could see some of the houses in her village burning at night. She believes soldiers set fire to the houses as a warning to the villagers.Momena said she did not know of any armed Rohingya militants in the village. She had heard some youths in the village talking about resisting, but she never saw anyone take any action on this, there was just talk. She said many young Rohingya men fled into the jungle after the attack.In addition to bodies found in her village, Momena said she saw several bodies of children in the Naf River at one of the crossing points into Bangladesh.Momena said that when she and others fleeing with her crossed into Bangladesh, the Bangladesh Border Guards stopped them and said: “We have to stop you but if you shout and insist on entering, we’ll let you in.” She understood this as the guards pretending to obey their orders to refuse refugees entry to Bangladesh, but in practice helping the refugees enter the country.Khatija KhatunKhatija Khatun, a widow, lived in the village of Ashikha Mushi with her four children. She said that on 25 August, an armed group of ethnic Rakhine youth came to her house and issued vague threats. She recognised them from previous encounters because most of them had been involved in the violence against her community in October 2016.Khatun said she had never reported previous threats because “We don’t trust the police, we just escape, that’s our only solution.”The youth were armed with rifles and slingshots. She heard periodic gunshots, and other villagers said that the army was helping the Rakhine youth, but she did not see any evidence of that herself.After seeing the armed Rakhine group kill a young Rohingya man, a 22-year-old called Rahim, she decided to leave her village that day after Friday noon prayers. She said that initially the Rohingya youth in the village responded to the Rakhine group’s show of armed strength and threats by protesting with bamboo poles, but the Rakhine group opened fire on them:“Jumma prayers were just over that Friday, and the men and boys were outside the mosque when the Rakhine armed men came up to them. Rahim and others took up bamboo poles, that’s all they had, but Rahim panicked when they began to shoot. He started running away. I saw them shoot him – the bullet went through his cheek, right by his cheekbone under his eye. He died from that wound.”After witnessing that shooting, Khatun panicked and fled into the hills with her three teenage daughters, ages 13, 15, and 18, whose safety she most feared for. She left her 5-year-old son behind – many Rohingya thought younger children might be safe from attack – but since then, she has no news of him.She learned that the armed Rakhine group had returned to attack her village in the early hours of 26 August. While hiding in the hills, Khatun said she saw several helicopters. She also said she heard bombs being dropped near and around her village: “It was a constant boom boom boom.” She saw her village mosque and one house in her village burning.Khatun and her daughters had no trouble entering Bangladesh, but she remains concerned about the security of her daughters, and is troubled by uncertainty and guilt for her young son left behind.Nurus SafaNurus Safa, about 40, fled from Fahira Bazar in the village tract of Kha Maung Seik on 29 August. She appeared to be in a state of shock when Human Rights Watch met her less than 24 hours after she arrived Bangladesh.“Many people were killed by knives, houses burned,” she said. “We were threatened, people were wounded, so I just fled.”Safa said her village was attacked on 25 August by men in uniform whom she assumes were Myanmarese army soldiers. She and other villagers ran from the village and hid in the nearby hills for a few days and nights. She had heard rumours that some Rohingya youth in her village had been arming themselves and organizing protests, but she did not know this directly and had seen no signs of it.In her panic to leave, Safa left behind the three eldest of her six children, ages 7, 8, and 15. She has received no news about them or her husband, Shafique Ahmed. She said that when she crossed the Naf River, the water level was up to her neck because of heavy monsoon rains. She said she saw many wounded people crossing the river into Bangladesh, but does not know who they were or how they were injured.Safa says she and her younger children did not have any trouble from the Bangladeshi border guards when entering Bangladesh.Mohammad YunusMohammad Yunus, 26, said his village of Sikadir Para in Tat U Chaung village tract, close to the border with Bangladesh, was attacked on 26 August. Although the villagers had had no prior warning of the attack, they were nervous because other people had come to his village fleeing attacks on their own villages further inland. He described the attack on the neighbouring village of Falinga Ziri:“I remember army helicopters, olive green in colour, flying around. I was standing on the other side of a canal, watching all this happen directly across from me. I was very close and saw it all myself. The soldiers were using guns that shoot fire, or something that explodes and sets fire.”  Yunus was not sure how many soldiers were involved in the operation, but he thinks there might have been over 250. He said he saw about 25 to 30 houses set on fire in Falinga Kiri from his vantage point. He said that at the time of the attack, it looked to him like there were no villagers left; they had all fled earlier.Yunus and his fellow villagers quickly decided to flee their village as well. The next day, 27 August, as they were heading towards shelter in neighbouring hills, he saw soldiers and police shooting at villagers fleeing. He learned later that one woman had been killed.Yunus said that he did not know of any Rohingya men who had been training or arming themselves, or had engaged in any militant activity.Begum BaharBegum Bahar said that soldiers attacked her village of Kun Thee Pyin on 25 August. They wore olive green uniforms and she believes they were Myanmarese army. She along with seven of her children and other villagers fled in panic when they saw the soldiers and heard gunfire. They ran into the jungle to cross the border into Bangladesh for safety, a two-hour walk away.Bahar said she saw at least three bodies as she fled to the border crossing. One had a cut on the back of the neck and two suffered from bullet wounds. She heard the “boom boom boom” of large weapons firing all day 26 and 27 August, as she was attempting to cross the Naf River into Bangladesh. During the river crossing, she lost contact with her 12-year-old son and does not know if he survived.Begum Bahar said she was unaware of Rohingya militant training or anti-government activities. She said that the authorities had ordered all Rohingya villages to deposit sharp weapons to local leaders to turn over to the police, so any kind of resistance would be difficult. She did admit that her 22-year-old son had opposed her decision to leave and stayed behind when she left with her other children.Tabarak HusseinHussein, 19, said that on 27 August at about 9:00am, about 200 to 300 Myanmarese security forces in uniform along with local Rakhine men arrived at his village of Kun Thee Pyun (Kwashong in Rohingya). He said they were all armed, but was too frightened to have a proper look at their weapons. They began a spree of indiscriminate shooting in the village.Hussein said that before the attack, tensions had been running high:“The local police had been harassing us, mistreating us for at least six months before this. They would take away our cows, for example. We were angry about this but we didn’t protest; we knew protesting would come to nothing. Then on the Friday [25 August] before the attack, four people were killed in my village [by the police]. I don’t know exactly how it happened. They were all Rohingya men. We left the village that day and hid in the hills, but came back because the police seemed to back down and leave. We thought it was all over, but it was not.”Hussein said that when the 27 August attack began, he and the other villagers fled into the hills. From atop one hill, he saw a helicopter flying over Kun Thee Pyun village, and then almost immediately after he saw houses in the village catch on fire. He doesn’t know what caused the houses to catch fire.He said that none of the villagers in his village were killed or injured during the 27 August attack. He walked for two days and on 29 August arrived at the Bangladeshi border. He said the Bangladesh border guards stopped his group at the border for a while, and then instructed them to take another route to enter Bangladesh. The group did that and they were allowed in.Anwar ShahAnwar Shah, 17, said that on the morning of 27 August, Myanmarese security forces in uniform opened fire on a crowd in his village of Let Ya Chaung, killing three Rohingya men and a boy, and wounding 18 others. He said he didn’t know the circumstances of the shooting, but there had been tensions between the authorities and local Rakhine and Rohingya villagers for some time. He didn’t think the four were armed or posed any security threat. The dead included Shah’s brother, Abdu Satter, 22, Abdu Shukur, about 50, Nur Alam, about 15, and Haroun, about 25. Their families buried them in the neighbouring village of Kum Para because they were too frightened to bury them in their own village.Shah said that after the attack he saw the local village mosque was on fire. He heard that the local police were responsible setting the blaze but did not witness that.Shah said that following his brother’s death, he fled to Bangladesh. He learned that there was a big attack on his village the next day, 28 August, and that all houses were set on fire.last_img read more

Surge in Mobile Banking Creates a Security Gap Thats a Wild West

first_imgAugust 13, 2013 Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. Register Now » Think about it. Do you know anyone who writes checks anymore?Online banking has become ubiquitous as more people turn to their smartphones to carry out daily tasks. Still, while it may be more efficient, using your phone to make financial transactions could raise security risks.Portland, Ore.-based online fraud detection company iovation tracked online financial transactions across 1.5 billion devices in July and found that 20 percent were done through a mobile device or tablet. That’s an increase over the 18 percent of online financial transactions done on a mobile device between January and July of this year, and 11 percent last year, according to a statement the company released today.Related: Lawmakers Push for ‘Kill Switch’ to Deter Smartphone TheftPart of the reason more customers are using mobile apps to do their banking is that financial institutions are innovating aggressively in the space, trying to appeal to customers that want to do everything on the go, says Max Anhoury, iovation’s vice president of Global Sales, in a statement.Customers are becoming increasingly comfortable with their personal histories living on their mobile devices. People are even using their smartphones to help them get pregnant these days. Really.Related: PayPal Co-Founder’s New Baby: An App to Help You Get PregnantThe problem is that security procedures aren’t keeping pace with app innovation, leaving a window for fraud.”With this rapid innovation, we found that financial institutions are unable to integrate security protocols as quickly as they would like since the ‘old’ security measures may not be well suited for the ‘new’ mobile world,” says Anhoury. “This means that mobile transactions can be like the Wild West for fraudsters.”For entrepreneurs considering launching a mobile app, it’s important to be hyper-vigilant about the security of your users. Throughout your development process, push out security updates to users on a regular basis. Test often for holes in your security, and if you do have a security breach, be honest about it. Transparency wins customer’s favor in the end.Related: Mobile App Basics: 3 Ways to Make User Security a Priority center_img Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global 2 min readlast_img read more