City firms claimed £14m costs in oligarch case

first_imgMr Justice FancourtCity law firms representing two oligarchs accused of a multi-billion-pound fraud at a now state-owned Ukrainian bank claimed around £14m in costs after successively arguing that the case should not be heard in London.In a judgment on costs published this week, Mr Justice Fancourt awarded a portion of the claimed costs, around £8.4m, to businessmen Igor Kolomoisky and Gennadiy Bogolyubov and five businesses to which they have or have had connections.The judgment shows that international firm Fieldfisher, which represented Kolomoisky, claimed around £9m. Bogolyubov, now represented by Enyo Law and previously by Skadden, claimed £2.9m, while lawyers for the five companies claimed £2.1m.After considering the ‘very very substantial’ costs, Fancourt J awarded interim payments of £4m (Kolomoisky), £2m (Bogolyubov) and £1.5m (the five companies). The costs judgment comes after the High Court ruled in PJSC Commercial Bank Privatbank and Igor Valeryevich Kolomoisky & Others, that the English courts do not have jurisdiction to hear the claims by PrivatBank.A worldwide freezing order for misrepresentation and non-disclosure previously obtained by the bank was also stayed. The oligarchs deny any wrongdoing.PrivatBank, represented by international firm Hogan Lovells, has said it will appeal the ruling.Assessing the £9m costs, Fancourt J said the sum was hard to quanitify as there is ‘no costs schedule equivalent to the kind of schedule that is produced on a summary assessment.‘The short schedule that has been produced provides very little detail at all. It contains, for example, single items for work done on documents for 7,107 hours and 58 minutes, amounting to £2,008,000 of fees, and in another part of the schedule another 4,506 hours of work done on documents for £1.55 million of fees,’ Fancourt J wrote.Fancourt J also rejected a claim by PrivatBank that the fees be placed into a solicitor’s holding pending the outcome of any appeal. ‘At this stage it is clear that very substantial amounts of money have been spent by the defendants on legal fees. It seems to me appropriate, on the basis of my findings, that they should have those interim payments on account of costs at this stage,’ his judgment found.last_img read more

KFC customer burnt with oil following complaint over size of chicken

first_img 249 Views   no discussions Share Share Share Sharing is caring!center_img NewsRegional KFC customer burnt with oil following complaint over size of chicken by: – October 8, 2014 Tweet PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, Wednesday October 8, 2014, CMC – A 32-year-old woman is being questioned by police after she allegedly threw a pot of hot oil on a 28-year-old customer on Tuesday.Police said that Shammy Gonzales argued with the un-identified cashier over the size of the chicken he received in a snack-pack.The argument was witnessed by several patrons as the customer, 28 year old Shammy Gonzales, loudly expressed his displeasure, saying the piece of chicken he received was too small.Police said as Gonzales walked out of the restaurant, the female employee retrieved a pot from the kitchen and ran behind him, following him out onto the pavement. She then threw the hot oil, burning him on the back and chest.Gonzales was taken to Port of Spain General Hospital, where he remains in stable condition.According to C NEWS TV, the KFC employee, a 32 year old woman from Sea Lots, was arrested by officers from the North Eastern Division Task Force shortly after the incident.Prestige Holdings Limited, which owns the franchise, said that it is cooperating fully with the police.last_img read more

Barcelona want Man City star Bernardo Silva and could offer Nelson Semedo in shock swap transfer

first_imgBARCELONA are interested in signing Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva, according to reports.The Portuguese midfielder started just 23 Premier League matches for City this season as he struggled to rediscover the form that saw him named their player of the year in 2018-19.Manchester City Bernardo Silva is back in England after being holed up in PortugalCredit: Getty Images – GettyBarca hope to capitalise on Silva’s situation and could include right-back Nelson Semedo in a cash-plus-player swap deal.The Telegraph claims the La Liga giants hope to tempt the 25-year-old with a new challenge after three seasons at the Etihad.However, Barca’s limited post-coronavirus budget means they have prioritised swap deals this summer and hope to test City’s resolve by offering Semedo in part-exchange.Semedo, 26, has been on City’s radar for some time and is among a number of names the Blaugrana are looking to move on in the transfer window. Silva joined City from Monaco in 2017 for an initial £43.5million fee but would likely be valued much higher by City, even though the pandemic looks in the most part to have decimated transfer fees globally.Despite a downturn in form, the midfielder has still contributed eight goals and ten assists in 52 appearances this season.Asked recently about Silva, City boss Pep Guardiola admitted this season had been tough for the Portuguese due to the displays of Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez.“This season, maybe it was my fault or maybe Phil was more involved and Riyad maintained his level and the other players played good too,” Guardiola said.Silva was overlooked in favour of Foden for City’s Champions League last-16 win over Real Madrid on Friday night before coming on for the England under-21 international in the 67th minute.David Silva offered £52k a week, private jet and ‘elegant house’ by Lazio as Man City legend weighs up transfer Amazing Controlled Building Demolition You Probably Haven’t Seen Before 10 INCREDIBLE Space Launch Failures! Travel Diary // Vietnam 2017 Omg this is awesome 🙂 REAL vs FAKE GOLDcenter_img Most awesome bullfighting festival Rebekah Vardy scores an impressive penalty in six-inch heels People Slammed By Massive Waves 4 Source: Soccer – thesun.co.uklast_img read more