Tropical Storm Isaac leaves ten dead in Hispaniola

first_img Tweet NewsRegional Tropical Storm Isaac leaves ten dead in Hispaniola by: – August 27, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Sharecenter_img 10 Views   no discussions Share Tropical Storm Isaac is seen in this August 26, 2012 NASA handout satellite image as it approaches the Florida Keys. (NASA/HANDOUT)MIAMI, USA — At least two people were killed in the Dominican Republic and eight in Haiti as heavy rains and winds from Tropical Storm Isaac battered the island of Hispaniola, officials said on Sunday.The bodies of two men reported missing on Saturday in the Dominican Republic were found, media reports said, adding that the victims were swept away by swollen rivers. Nearly 13,000 others were forced to evacuate their homes.The storm damaged 864 dwellings in the Dominican Republic and left 90 towns cut off, emergency management officials said.Isaac also battered neighbouring Haiti, where at least six people were killed. As many as 5,000 people were evacuated because of flooding.Chocolate-brown water spilled through the sprawling shantytown of Cite Soleil in Port-au-Prince, collapsing scores of tents and flooding homes with three feet of water.Doctors Without Borders said it anticipated a spike in cholera cases due to flooding, and it was preparing to receive more patients.No deaths or injuries were reported in Cuba, where moderate coastal floods were reported in Baracoa, Guantanamo, and the lower coastal areas of the municipalities of Gibara and Banes, Holguin. Electric service was interrupted in Baracoa, from where 1,093 persons were evacuated due to Isaac’s heavy rains and wind of up to 53 per hour, which caused the total or partial collapse of 17 houses, according to preliminary figures.Rain continued on Saturday night in the eastern provinces, which were heavy and intense in some areas, mainly in the mountainous regions. Rain was expected to expand to the island’s central region on Sunday. Meanwhile, showers and thunderstorms remain disorganized in association with a broad area of low pressure located about 750 miles west of the Cape Verde islands. This system has the potential to become a tropical depression over the next day or two as it moves west-northwestward to northwestward at 10 to 15 mph. This system has a medium chance — 50 percent — of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours.Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Signal Band releases new single

first_img 80 Views   no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Signal Band releases new single by: – September 4, 2013 Share Share Sharing is caring!center_img Tweet Share One of Dominica’s up and coming music bands, Signal Band, has released a single which they hope will promote Bouyon music.Their new single entitled ‘Take Over The World’ was released yesterday, 3rd September.In the single, the Band speaks of the potential of the Bouyon genre to dominate the international market and have its musicians touring the world.Signal Band sees the Bouyon genre as a powerful element of Dominica’s culture, and in the song, calls on the other Bouyon artistes and DJ’s to endorse the mission and not give up until the genre TAKES OVER THE WORLD,” Signal Band’s lead singer and band leader Sheldon Alfred said.The song was written and performed by Sheldon “Shelly” Alfred and the produced by Dernel Green (Lead Keyboardist and Programmer of the Band) and Sheldon Alfred.The Band plans to set positive eyes on the image of Dominica’s young talent through their music.Just last week, the Band released a “groovy Soca single” entitled “All Ah That” which has so far received great reviews. “We promise to do all we can see that our songs goes far because the messages are important,” Mr Alfred said.They are also planning to put on a massive event later this year which will ensure that every citizen is familiar with the group.“We don’t want to spill any beans but by November, the people who didn’t know Signal Band will have a fair idea of who this group of young talented men are”.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmXsk1lgI0[/youtube] The Band can be contacted via telephone numbers (767) 615 3554 and 316 3380 or via email address: signaltheband@hotmail.com.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Hamilton inspired to victory by brave cancer boy

first_img0Shares0000Centre of attention: Lewis Hamilton takes a selfie with his team after winning the Spanish Grand Prix © AFP / Pau BarrenaBARCELONA, Spain, May 12 – Lewis Hamilton said he was inspired to victory in Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix by receiving a humbling message from a five-year-old boy who is fighting cancer.The defending five-time world champion said the message from Harry Shaw, who is battling Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer, helped him defeat Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas who beat him to pole in a “nightmare” qualifying session on Saturday. Hamilton said that, after being outpaced by Bottas, the message was a welcome boost to his spirits.“Yesterday was a difficult day, but I arrived today and I got this great message from this young kid called Harry and he just became my spirit and that was my inspiration,” Hamilton told Sky Sports after winning ahead of Bottas to return to the top of the world championship.“When I woke up, I was a bit lost and kind of ‘how’s today going to go?’ and then I saw that message and I was like ‘I see you Harry – I’ve got you’.“So I want to dedicate this one to Harry, if you are watching, and sending you the love.”Hamilton told reporters that after being outpaced to pole by Bottas at three consecutive events, he intended to analyse his one-lap performances.“Yesterday, it was a bit of a nightmare,” he said. “But luckily race pace has generally been quite good for me. I’ve been really happy and comfortable generally in the races.”After a fifth successive Mercedes one-two, Hamilton said he hoped that Ferrari would recover their form and mount a serious challenge to Mercedes.Centre of attention: Lewis Hamilton takes a selfie with his team after winning the Spanish Grand Prix © AFP / Vincent LEFAIHamilton was linked with a future move to Ferrari on Sunday when Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff said that scenario had been discussed during contract talks last year.– Hamilton to Ferrari? –“I prefer it when they are in the mix with us,” he said. “I prefer the races where, for example Bahrain, they’re on the front row. I love that. Especially when we’re kind of intertwined.“The last couple of years that’s what we’ve had and from a driver’s point of view and a team’s point of view it’s much better.”Earlier Sunday, Wolff told reporters that he and Hamilton had discussed a future switch from Mercedes to Ferrari during contract talks and he stressed that it was important and “no drama” to be respectful and open-minded on the subject.“We had the discussion when we negotiated the last contract and I think that you just have to be open-minded and understand that drivers will explore opportunities that exist and benchmark themselves,” said Wolff.“You have simply to acknowledge that probably it’s in every driver’s head to drive one day at Ferrari. It’s the most iconic, historic brand out there and I respect a driver if he has the desire to drive at Ferrari.“We have discussed it within the team and with Lewis and we have agreed on the topic.”Hamilton, 34, is under contract with Mercedes until the end of next year.By then, he may have equalled Michael Schumacher’s record of seven drivers’ titles and be ready to retire to pursue his interests in fashion and music -– or focus on one last big challenge on the track.However, Wolff made clear that Hamilton has not expressed any desire to leave Mercedes.“We are providing him with a car that is capable of achieving his objectives. I think if we continue to have a car that is on that level, there is no reason to go -– and we would love him to stay.“If, one day, our ways part, it will be very positive and each of us will try to achieve success with a different set-up so no drama.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more