No arrest in Bagotstown robbery

first_imgAs investigations continue into the recent robbery committed on the R Gossai and Sons General Store at Bagotstown, East Bank Demerara, the Police are yet to make an arrest. Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum when contacted told Guyana Times that the Police are working with several leads but no arrest was made in connection with the robbery.The absence of the DVR player for the surveillance cameras is one challenge to solving the case. Another challenge is that the men were all masked but the Police are expected to resort to their fingerprint database for assistance in solving theThe R.Gossai and Sons General Storecrime.However, the injured 63-year-old businessman, Rabindranauth Gossai, has been discharged from hospital but is still traumatised. His son, Joey Gossai told this publication that the business has been in operation for the past 70 years and it has been passed on from one generation to the next.The young man noted that sometime back, his father was relieved of cash moments after he returned from a bank. “We were robbed once in the past but this is the first time in the house… that time, my father had just returned from the bank and he was accosted in the yard and relieved of the money he was carrying,” the younger Gossai noted.On Monday evening, at least eight armed and masked men severely beat the elderly businessman and terrorised his family after which they carted off with an undisclosed sum of cash, a quantity of high-end liquor and a quantity of jewellery among other items.The robbery occurred at about 20:00h as the younger Gossai went into the back of the yard to collect his car. From all indications, the men cut the barbed wire fence to gain entry to the yard where they hid for some time, until the man exited the house.He was held at gunpoint and taken into the house where the gunmen assaulted his father. He was then placed to lie on the ground along with his mother and four-year-old son. As they were held hostage, the men ransacked the house and shop during which they found the money and jewellery. As the men were leaving, they collected the rum and other items.After the 25-minute ordeal, the gunmen left and the younger Gossai managed to untie himself and his family. They subsequently contacted the Police and without hesitation, took his father, who was bleeding profusely, to seek medical attention.last_img read more

Repair works on Harbour Bridge moving apace

first_imgA team of engineers on Saturday successfully replaced an-18-year-old pontoon that was on the western retractor span of the Demerara Harbour Bridge. The bridge had to be closed for some six hours to facilitate critical maintenance works.By the time the media arrived at the worksite, some three hours after closure, steps were already being taken to reassemble the connections on the new pontoon.General Manager of the Demerara Harbour Bridge Company, Rawlston Adams, updated reporters on the works. He explained that DHB personnel actually started work since Wednesday, dismantling the stairs. The following day, they installed a temporary pontoon to hold up the portion of the bridge where the replacement was taking place.The southern wrench being repositioned on the new pontoonOn Friday, they removed the wrenches and other connections on the old pontoon – all in preparation for Saturday’s major task.“This morning’s (Saturday) operation was to remove the old pontoon and install the new pontoon. We got the new pontoon installed (at) about 10:00h, and after (that), we started to reassemble the pipes and wrenches on the new pontoon… But we had some nasty weather. We tried to work through it, but it was difficult and there was a second round of shower, so we’re persevering,” Adams explained to reporters.He disclosed that the team, comprising engineers from DHBC and the contracting company, Industrial Fabrications Inc. (INFAB), will return to the site to remove the temporary pontoon.Afterwards, the hydraulics will be reinstalled, and then testing will commence to ensure that the bridge can retract for marine traffic. The testing exercise will continue on Monday, and then, on Tuesday, the bridge will retract for the first time in four days to facilitate marine traffic.The workers reassembling the connections onto the new pontoon“The hardest part was to get the old pontoon out, and that was done; so we’re now in the reconnecting phase… (But) we’ve learnt a lot from this exercise in terms of planning for the new one, so we’re documenting everything here so that we can go back to the drawing table and review what was done and make plans so that we can reduce the time it takes for some of these works,” he noted.This, the General Manager added, will be helpful when DHB officials embark on the second phase of the project — to replace another pontoon on the eastern side of the retractor span.While Adams commended his team for an excellent job done, he, at the same time, expressed disappointment with the public for turning up at the bridge during the closure, when several ads and PSAs (public service announcements) were done to inform about Saturday’s closure. He further pointed out that they’ve managed to do all the other works without disturbing vehicular traffic on the other days.Stretching for 1.25 miles, the floating Demerara Harbour Bridge is a strategic link between the eastern and western banks of the Demerara river. It facilitates the daily movement of large numbers of vehicles, people, and cargo. The structure was built in the 1970s, but was opened in July 1978 with the expectation of lasting for only 10 years. However, some three decades later, it is still floating.Meanwhile, the process is still ongoing for a new Demerara River crossing to be built. A feasibility study was conducted to determine several factors, among which are location and type of bridge. That report was handed over to the Public Infrastructure Ministry, and is now before Cabinet for review.last_img read more

G4S loses Sh9.95b over Olympics fiasco

first_img0Shares0000LONDON, England, February 12 – British security giant G4S is to lose £70 million ($110 million, 82 million euros, Sh9.95b) over its failure to provide enough guards for the London Olympics, the company said on Tuesday.The firm had previously estimated that it would lose £50 million over the fiasco, which forced the British government to draft in 4,700 troops at the last minute to help guard the Games. The company, which has spent months negotiating a compensation deal with the Games organisers, said it also incurred extra costs of about £18 million relating to charitable donations, fees, sponsorship and marketing.Chief executive Nick Buckles said: “The UK government is an important customer for the group and we felt that it was in all of our interests to bring this matter to a close in an equitable and professional manner without the need for lengthy legal proceedings.”G4S faced an inquiry by British lawmakers after it announced just days before the Olympics that it could not completely fulfil its £284-million contract to provide 10,400 security staff for venues.Buckles faced pressure to resign over the fiasco, which claimed the job of two other top G4S executives.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

IIO clears Dawson Creek police officer in fatal summer 2015 shooting

first_imgSURREY, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office has released a report today clearing a Dawson Creek police officer in a fatal shooting that occurred in July of 2015.The IIO says no charges will be brought forward in the case.“Based on a review of all of the evidence collected during the course of the investigation and the law as it applies, the interim Chief Civilian Director of the IIO does not consider that any police officer may have committed an offence under any enactment and therefore the matter will not be referred to Crown counsel for consideration of charges.”The Dawson Creek RCMP responded to a report of a disturbance during the evening of July 16, 2015 after police were advised that a male suspect was allegedly damaging property and disrupting the BC Hydro, Site-C Dam public information session, in Dawson Creek.- Advertisement -the Independent Investigations Office initially reported the same evening, an individual who caused a disturbance at the event came into contact with police and was shot.When police did arrive, they saw a man in a mask with one hand behind his back outside of the Stonebridge hotel. The report says it would become evident that the man was not the subject of the original complaint. Officers asked the man to show his hand but he kept moving past them.Advertisement The IIO was then notified on July 16, 2015 at around 8:50 p.m. and an investigation was started. The victim was later identified by the BC Coroners Service as 48-year-old James Daniel McIntyre, a resident of Dawson Creek. Officers noted that a switchblade was being carried, but was not initially open. Witnesses said the man opened the knife and moved towards the officers.“Civilian witnesses who saw this interaction described the affected person’s behaviour as “lunging towards”, “jabbing at” and “coming towards” the officers.”Police ordered him to drop the knife and pepper spray was deployed but didn’t have any effect. The man with the knife did not comply to drop the knife and was shot once by an officer who is being referred as “subject officer”.The man who was shot did not survive his injuries and was pronounced dead at hospital.Advertisementlast_img read more