BUY TICKETS: See the races at TexasKevin Harvick will run the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West race on June 24 at Sonoma Raceway, the driver announced via his SiriusXM Radio Show “Happy Hours” on Tuesday night. “(I’m) going to be the old guy that shows up,” said Harvick, who will fittingly pilot the No. 4 ride. “I have fun when I go do those events. You’d love to win and you want to go out and do that obviously to be competitive, but it’s really, it’s just a series that gave me several breaks and several opportunities to showcase what I did as a kid.” Harvick hasn’t raced a fulltime season in the K&N Pro Series West since 1997. The Stewart-Haas Racing driver last raced in the series in 2007 at Iowa, where he celebrated his seventh series win. He said he wants to shine some light on a series where young drivers have to go through many ranks to eventually be successful in racing. “It’s hard for young kids to come up,” Harvick said. “So, if we can go out there and have fun and bring the west series some exposure and bring some attention to that, that would really be my main goal; to bring some attention to the race, the competitors, all the people that are a part of that series.”Harvick will head to Texas Motor Speedway this weekend for the O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 (Sunday, April 9, 1:30 p.m. ET on FOX).
Roeland Park will move away from year-round operations at the pool to a summer-only schedule.The Roeland Park Aquatic Center will shift from being a year-round pool to a summer-season only facility, members of the city council tentatively agreed Monday.The council unanimously signaled its support for moving forward with a summer season that would span from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The new schedule will come up for a final and formal vote during a January council meeting.Pool Advisory Committee member Tom Madigan said the committee had considered an option that would keep the pool open until October, but the alternative was voted down after determining the low usage during those additional months did not warrant the expense.“There was very low participation,” Councilor Madigan said. “….because of that it would be a high subsidy for each individual that did show up.”Roeland Park debated how to proceed with pool operations after the Johnson County Park and Recreation District decided not to continue its partnership, in which JCPRD and Roeland Park split the expense of the pool. The issue was further complicated when the pool’s dome, which allows it to stay open year-round, was damaged beyond repair in a wind storm.Previously, the dome over the pool had provided a winter practice facility for the Kansas City Blazers swim team and the local U.S. Masters swim team.The decision to move to a summer-only season was recommended by Waters Edge Aquatic Design, the Lenexa-based consulting firm Roeland Park hired to consult on pool operations.City staff, Pool Advisory Committee Members, and councilmembers will now consider how to move forward with the three summer-only options outlined by Waters Edge:Switch the pool to a three-month season with no added features (expected cost $300,000/year)Summer season with basic upgrades that include: added shade structures, new toddler slide, in-water bench, ADA additions, improved lighting (estimated project cost of $680,000)Summer season with premium upgrades that include: separate lap and leisure pools, replacing kiddie pool with cabanas and shade structures, adding a lazy river and wet deck, replacing and relocating slides, adding a climbing wall and floatables, improved lighting, and new mechanical and piping systems (estimated project cost of $4.7 million)The Johnson County Park and Recreation District board decided in 2017 to let its current funding partnership agreement with Roeland Park expire in May 2019.
Related iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The former owner of a Midtown Manhattan nightclub was found strangled to death in his New York City apartment, police said.The body of Savyon Zabar, 54, was discovered Wednesday morning by a roommate inside an apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, police said, classifying the death a homicide on Friday.Investigators said there was no forced entry into the apartment and nothing appeared to have been taken. Detectives were seen entering the apartment on Friday.Zabar was the victim of another crime in April 2016, when two men robbed him as he entered his apartment, according to authorities. The men made off with Zabar’s vehicle and more than $3,000 cash.Zabar, known by his friends as “Big Ben,” was an openly gay “icon in NYC nightlife,” according to a GoFundMe page set up in his memory.The autopsy showed hemorrhaging consistent with strangulation, police said.Editor’s note: The original version of this story incorrectly stated that Savyon Zabar was the son of an executive at Zabar’s, the gourmet grocery store on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. The general manager at Zabar’s told ABC News he was not aware of a connection with the grocery store family.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico
22 March 2013 The best South African businesses in various sectors of the economy were showcased at the inaugural SA Premier Business Awards hosted by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) on Wednesday night. The awards were held in Sandton, Johannesburg in partnership with Proudly South African and Brand South Africa, with the aim of recognising South African companies that invest in human and technical resources in various projects and stimulate job creation. “These awards are of value in particular because they give companies recognition and that recognition, we hope, passes on in some kind of tangible commercial reputational benefit can be significant for companies in enhancing their position in the market,” said Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies in his opening address at the awards. The top award for the evening was the Lifetime Achievement Award, which was presented by the minister. The award went to business mogul Richard Maponya who is known for building a business empire despite the restrictions of apartheid. “This is a great honour,” Maponya said, also congratulating all the young people who received awards. “South Africa is making history.” The winners, per category, were announced as follows: Rural Development Award: Social Change Assistance Trust (SCAT)SMME Award: Malcom – Ezindaleni Hydraulics & EngineeringYoung Entrepreneur Award: Miss Earth South AfricaWomen-Owned Enterprise Award: Segakweng Enterprise And Strategy ConsultingQuality Award: Coega DairyTechnology Award: Tshwane University of TechnologyGreen Award: MTN SAMedia Award: Talk Radio 702/567 Cape TalkProudly South African Enterprise Award: G.U.D HoldingsMost Empowered Enterprise Award: MTN SAInvestor Award: Nestle (South Africa)Manufacturer Award: Powertech and Bell Equipment Company SAExporter Award: Abagold and Saab Grintek DefenceLifetime Achievement Award: Dr Richard Maponya “We are elated to receive this acknowledgement of nearly 30 years of contributing to rural development,” said Anthea Davids-Thames, executive director of Social Change Assistance Trust (Scat), which took home the Rural Development Award. “We are proud as an organisation in terms of our contribution to our beloved country but more so proud of the communities we support,” she said. Scat is a veteran independent fund-raising and grant-making development agency based in Cape Town. The partners also thanked the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) and ABSA for their contribution to the awards. Davies said the awards were an amalgamation of previous award ceremonies, and with such an award ceremony, South Africa can serve to encourage much more entrepreneurial efforts in the society as a whole. Entry form submissions for the awards closed in mid-February. A total 159 entries were received while a 12 member judging panel comprising of various role players from business and labour as well as the department among others, were responsible for selecting the winners. The adjudication process concluded in March. On 4 April the DTI will launch the fifth iteration of the Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP) which will outline government’s plans to industrialise the South African economy. IPAP now falls under the New Growth Path which is an economic framework for 2010- 2020, with the overriding objective of creating employment. First published by MediaClubSouthAfrica.com – get free high-resolution photos and professional feature articles from Brand South Africa’s media service.
Last month, LP Magazine celebrated its 15th year anniversary during the annual board meeting, which was held this year in Sanibel Island, Florida. While the time seems to have gone by in a blink of an eye since the magazine was first announced at the NRF Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 2001, it also feels like LP Magazine has been the voice of the loss prevention community for much longer. Friends and valued partners in the LP community share their well wishes with the magazine in this commemorative video, and we couldn’t be more thrilled and grateful. Check out our annual meeting recap video or recap article as well to get the full story on the 15-year celebration. Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Rajasthan Royals’ player said he has heard that he has been named as implicated in Mudgal reportFormer England batsman Owais Shah has denied any knowledge of being investigated for spot fixing and betting in the 2013 Indian Premier League (IPL).Shah’s statement came even though the Supreme Court of India Friday refused to divulge any names in an ongoing investigation.According to The Guardian, Shah said it was “very distressing” and issued a statement Friday through the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) saying he had “no knowledge” of the investigation.Shah, of Rajasthan Royals, was interviewed by the England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) anti-corruption unit last year as a precautionary measure when details of the Indian Premier League (IPL) scandal first surfaced.”I have heard that I have been named as implicated in the Mudgal report presented to the Indian Supreme Court. Prior to the news, I had no knowledge that I was under investigation or suspicion,” he was quoted as saying by The Guardian.”I have not heard from, been interviewed by or received any form of correspondence from the Mudgal enquiry or the Indian Supreme Court or anyone connected with it. I have no idea what allegations have been levelled at me or what case, if any, I am expected to answer.””Needless to say, this is very distressing as I have as much information as those seeking comment from me. Consequently, I will be making no further statement beyond this one and giving no interviews until I have established exactly what is going on and why I have been named.”advertisement